Human Resources Consulting Services for Managers and Supervisors
Management and supervisory consulting is available through our Human Resources Consulting Service (HRCS). All managers and supervisors have access to one on one consulting from Mines’ Human Resources professionals. HRCS is intended in partnership to assist supervisors and managers with a wide range of human resources matters, providing forward-thinking support and advice. We can work with you on difficult personnel issues, ideas you might be considering to implement for your department, general human resources concepts, performance planning, employee relations, and more. For a more complete list of subject areas and descriptions, just click on the buttons below.
HOW IT WORKS
Request services by sending an email describing your questions or assistance needed to HRConsult@mines.edu. The emails are monitored each business day. When you request assistance, you will receive a reply no later than the following business day. Once the subject and scope of your request is assessed within Human Resources, it will be assigned to the Human Resources professional who can best assist you.
General questions about this service and about Human Resources forms may also be sent to HRConsult@mines.edu. We look forward to hearing from you.
Broadly inclusive subjects or topics include:
- Performance planning and management - assistance with concepts that underpin performance management, developing performance plans, establishing goals and targets, assistance with performance conversations, and other related considerations.
- Employee relations and coaching – supervising and communicating effectively within a work group, handling and approaching a variety of topics and conversations, dealing with conflicts, etc.
- Job descriptions – help with building a job description, administrative faculty or Classified, creating responsibility statements, matching qualifications statements to responsibilities, describing decisions and job scope, and so forth.
- Classified rules interpretation and application – specific to the State Personnel Rules and Technical Assistance, advice and guidance on how State Personnel Rules impact supervisory flexibility in matters affecting Classified employees, special requirements for notification related to an array of personnel actions, grievances, and appeals.
- Policy interpretation – assistance with applying Board of Trustees policies that impact employment, Faculty Handbook provisions, and Human Resources policies and procedures.
- Organizational development – expanding the knowledge and effectiveness of people to accomplish more successful organizational change and performance; consulting focus on developing organization capability through alignment of strategy, structure, management processes, people, rewards, and metrics.
- Learning and Development – assistance with building training plans for employees and using Mines' eLearning portal effectively, developing unit-specific training, designing individualized training, etc.
- Recruiting support – guidance on developing a strategic recruiting plan aligned with your department’s vision, help with Mines applicant tracking systems (PageUp for faculty and administrative openings and NeoGov for state classified openings), help with job announcements, advice on recruiting approaches, structured interview techniques, and behavioral interviewing.
- Assessment and team building – direct interaction and support of efforts to improve working relationships and communications within work groups, exploration of and advice to managers and supervisors about concepts and approaches, professional leadership of group interactive sessions.
- Benefits, retirement, and leaves – advice regarding the various benefits programs offered by Mines, advice and consultation of the application of leave policies and provisions, coordination and assistance with Family and Medical Leave, assistance with Americans with Disabilities Act application in coordination with Mines' ADA Coordinator. Resources to help administrators plan with faculty and classified employees their transition into retirement.
- Compensation matters – consultation about compensation questions, analyses, and approaches to support recruitment and retention, rewards and recognition, alternative work schedules.
- Data reporting and analytics – assistance with obtaining Human Resources data and workforce reporting, special reports, exploration and consultation on workforce metrics.